2023 Milky Way workshops will begin in May!
To be scheduled based on Milky Way Visibility, 3+ hours on location*. Registration will open the week of the workshop. Signup for notifications. This is a 2-part workshop.
Do you have a DSLR or mirrorless camera? Do you know modern digital cameras can “see” very well in the dark? Do you want to learn how to photograph a landscape full of stars? Discover the beauty of the Milky Way that can be captured with your camera. Night photography is quite different from daytime snaps and knowing how to use your camera in the dark opens up another realm of photographic beauty.
This 2-part Instructor Lead course will walk through the entire Milky Way capture process, starting from Camera settings, Lens considerations, “Night photography etiquette”, White balance considerations, Exposure, and finally Basic processing. In addition to the night photography basics, it will explore the types of night light, walking through exposure considerations during blue hour, civil twilight, nautical twilight, astronomical twilight, and night. Learn how to stack Milky Way images and bring out detail in the night sky from your RAW images. Various post-processing techniques and software will be covered.
The 3+ hour in-person session plus 3 hour post-processing online session will cover these topics in depth. Students will gain a solid grounding in Milky Way & general night photography including best practices essential for success.
Session includes critique of a submitted night image. (Optional)
Students who complete this class will be able to capture and process Milky Way & astro-landscape images. WHO SHOULD ATTEND
All levels of photographers will benefit from this course.
Place: Live & Online – Instructor-Led, 6+ hours total instruction.
Date: To be scheduled based on Milky Way Visibility, 3 hours on location*. Registration will open the week of the workshop. Signup for notifications (see form below).
Night Photography Review & Post-Processing on Zoom Time: 3 hours, scheduled based on location shoot.
Registrants will have access to the recorded post-processing Zoom class.
Group Cost: $200 (No refunds) ** Maximum 6 participants for on-location shoot.
Important: This is a very weather dependent workshop. In case of cloudy weather the workshop will be rescheduled. If reschedule date conflicts with your schedule, you may use the registration fee towards another workshop (Milky Way or other). Please note that several astronomical forecasting tools are used to determine a good night of clarity, but it is not a perfect science. Clarity of the sky can change rapidly. Flexibility is very important when chasing the night skies. If the forecast is good but the actual conditions are not when we arrive at the destination, we will reschedule or move to another location if feasible.
* Location will be selected based on forecast. Generally, Eastern Massachusetts (including Cape Cod), Rhode Island and southern New Hampshire. Actual shooting location may change at the last minute due to cloud forecast. Location will vary depending on forecast. Some locations require a fair amount of walking to the shoot location. Some locations are close to the parking area.
** If you are sick or feeling unwell (please stay home), I will gladly give you a credit towards a future class. If the reschedule date conflicts with your schedule, you may use the registration fee towards another workshop (Milky Way or other).
Gear and Notes
- Make sure to dress in layers and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Required: DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Wide to super wide lens (f/2.8 or faster recommended)
- Lens hood and lens cap.
- Fully charged camera batteries.
- Shutter release
- Formatted memory card.
- Dew heater optional but recommended. Contact me for suggestions.
- Knowledge of how to access your camera’s manual settings, ISO, white balance and shutter speed.
- Recommended: A collapsible chair, snacks and water.
- Red flashlight (to be used if necessary while shooting).
- Flashlight (to help navigate in the dark).
- Bug spray
- Once registered for the workshop, I will send out specific details to you the morning of the on-location shoot and three days before the post-processing session.
For more information or to signup for notifications, please fill the form below:
There are no reviews yet.