2023 Milky Way workshops will begin in May!
To be scheduled based on Milky Way Visibility, 3+ hours on location*. This is a 2-part workshop.
Do you have a DSLR or mirrorless camera? Do you know modern digital cameras can “see” very well in the dark? Do you want to learn how to photograph a landscape full of stars? Discover the beauty of the Milky Way that can be captured with your camera. Night photography is quite different from daytime snaps and knowing how to use your camera in the dark opens up another realm of photographic beauty.
This 2-part Instructor Lead course will walk through the entire Milky Way capture process, starting from Camera settings, Lens considerations, “Night photography etiquette”, White balance considerations, Exposure, and finally Basic processing. In addition to the night photography basics, it will explore the types of night light, walking through exposure considerations during blue hour, civil twilight, nautical twilight, astronomical twilight, and night. Learn how to stack Milky Way images and bring out detail in the night sky from your RAW images. Various post-processing techniques and software will be covered.
The 3+ hour in-person session plus 3 hour post-processing online session will cover these topics in depth. Students will gain a solid grounding in Milky Way & general night photography including best practices essential for success.
Session includes critique of a submitted night image. (Optional)
Students who complete this class will be able to capture and process Milky Way & astro-landscape images.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
All levels of photographers will benefit from this course.
Place: Live & Online – Instructor-Led, 6+ hours total instruction.
Date: To be scheduled based on Milky Way Visibility, 3 hours on location*
Night Photography Review & Post-Processing on Zoom Time: 3 hours, scheduled based on location shoot.
Registrant will have access to the recorded post-processing Zoom class.
Cost: $325 (No refunds) **
Important: This is a very weather dependent workshop. In case of cloudy weather the workshop will be rescheduled. If reschedule date conflicts with your schedule, you may use the registration fee towards another workshop (Milky Way or other). Please note that several astronomical forecasting tools are used to determine a good night of clarity, but it is not a perfect science. Clarity of the sky can change rapidly. Flexibility is very important when chasing the night skies. If the forecast is good but the actual conditions are not when we arrive at the destination, we will reschedule or move to another location if feasible.
* Location will be selected based on forecast. Generally, Eastern Massachusetts (including Cape Cod), Rhode Island and southern New Hampshire. Actual shooting location may change at the last minute due to cloud forecast. Location will vary depending on forecast. Some locations require a fair amount of walking to the shoot location. Some locations are close to the parking area.
** If you are sick or feeling unwell (please stay home), I will gladly reschedule.
Gear and Notes
- Make sure to dress in layers and wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Required: DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Wide to super wide lens (f/2.8 or faster recommended)
- Lens hood and lens cap.
- Fully charged camera batteries.
- Shutter release
- Formatted memory card.
- Dew heater optional but recommended. Contact me for suggestions.
- Knowledge of how to access your camera’s manual settings, ISO, white balance and shutter speed.
- Recommended: A collapsible chair, snacks and water.
- Red flashlight (to be used if necessary while shooting).
- Flashlight (to help navigate in the dark).
- Bug spray
- Face masks are not required but I ask that you maintain social distance whenever possible.
- Once registered for the workshop, I will send out specific details to you the morning of the on-location shoot and three days before the post-processing session.
These are the links to Venmo, CashApp and PayPal. Graphical codes are below. Please consider sending the workshop tuition ($325) as a friend payment as they all charge fees otherwise. I will know whom the payment is from based on this form once submitted, so you don’t need to add a description.
I also accept Zelle and checks. Contact me if you wish to use either of these.
I accept Credit Card payments as well. As I am no longer able to absorb their ever increasing fees, I sadly have to pass their fees on to you. A 4% convenience fee has been added to the workshop tuition for credit card payments.
Note: No physical tickets will be mailed out. A confirmation email will be sent to you once payment is received. I will then contact you to schedule a call to discuss the plan. Thank you.
There are no reviews yet.